Beginning Spring 2017, all juniors in the State of Illinois will take a state-funded SAT that can be used for college admissions. The Illinois State Board of Education has recently shifted from funding an ACT for all juniors to funding an SAT for all juniors, and as a result Hinsdale Township High School District 86 is launching a new comprehensive assessment system to best prepare our students for this shift in state practice.
Prior to 2015, District 86 used ACT’s suite of assessments of Explore (fall grade 8), Plan (fall grade 10) and ACT (spring grade 11). We are now shifting to SAT’s suite of assessments of PSAT 8/9 (fall grade 8), PSAT National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (fall grade 11) and SAT (spring grade 11). These assessments will best prepare students to earn the highest SAT scores possible and also better assess student readiness for Advanced Placement courses via the College Board’s AP Potential Report. For the high school graduating Class of 2021 (8th graders in 2016-2017), District 86 will use a combination of 8th grade Fall MAP scores and the PSAT 8/9 as our high school placement tests along with 8th grade teacher feedback.
Our new assessment system provides every student with the opportunity to qualify for National Merit Scholarship status. We will be using MAP test scores to monitor student progress in 9th and 10th grade to ensure we are monitoring both individual and holistic areas of strength and challenge for District 86 students. In addition, student who desire additional practice can register for the PSAT 10 which takes place on a Saturday in the spring of grade 10.
Please click here to access a slide deck that explains the SAT and free personalized test prep available via Khan Academy:SAT and Khan Academy
2016-2017 Tentative Assessment Dates
- PSAT 8/9: Saturday, October 1 (Hinsdale South) and Saturday, October 15 (Hinsdale Central)
- MAP testing for 8th graders without 8th grade fall scores: Thursday, October 27 at 3:30 p.m. at Hinsdale Central for all District 86 incoming freshmen.
- PSAT/NMSQT for all 11th graders during the school day: Wednesday, October 19
- PSAT 10 for 10th graders who wish to register for additional practice: Saturday, March 17
- SAT for all 11th graders during the school day: Wednesday, April 5
More information about the SAT Suite of Assessments can be found at: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat